Select Page
beyond what I can do

beyond what I can do

 

Recently while talking about my job, a friend said something about the gravity of it—handling the Word of God, editing the words of teachers who influence millions around the globe. The gravity, the heaviness, the privilege of this work hits me every so often. I have to admit, not every day. Some days, I come in and like a scientist or a scholar look at the Bible and dissect it. I wax poetically about dashes and commas and ellipses. But the Word of God is living and active and some days I realize the gravity of that. I pray over my work. I give thanks for my work. I nearly come to tears thinking of the heaviness of this privilege.
Beth Moore once said, “You can know that you may be in the right place if it is beyond what you can do because that is where the all surpassing power of God is shown. And it’s of Him, not of us.”
This job, this work, is beyond what I can do. Not just because I have seemingly ten new deadlines every day. Not just because I may or may not have failed Greek class once or twice. Because Scripture is holy, it is the primary means by which our God—the God of the heavens and the earth—tells us about Himself. It convicts, it encourages, it challenges, it distributes hope. The Word of God reminds us of the faithfulness of God. Properly handling that sacred text? It is beyond what I can do.
So maybe, just maybe, I’m in the right place. Even if that right place is almost 9pm in a cubicle.

Follow Elizabeth

@edhyndman

Subscribe to EDHyndman.com

Archives

God is faithful.

God is faithful.

I've seen the pictures and posts on social media. I'm sure you have, too. Engagement photos, birth announcements, job promotions, new homes, wedding pictures. Then, right there in the caption of the smiling photo: "God is so faithful!" We like to say how faithful God...

read more
We Are Dust

We Are Dust

When editing Bible studies, often a verse—perhaps one I'm already familiar with—will strike my attention. I'm sure this happens to everyone who is studying the living Word of God. Every so often, I'll jot down the verse, or a phrase of the verse, on a sticky note and...

read more
2017 March Madness Bracket Challenge

2017 March Madness Bracket Challenge

Hey friends. I am coming back this year to continue my bracket challenge/outline of my strategies due to popular demand/I asked two friends if this was annoying and they said no plus my dad texted me about it. I'm a little late in getting this written this year. It's...

read more
God’s Faithfulness and The Mountain

God’s Faithfulness and The Mountain

Visitors have a 30% chance of actually seeing Denali, North America's tallest peak. The Mountain (as it's known, to distinguish it from the park of the same name) makes its own weather and is almost always (70% of the time) covered in its own clouds and fog. I didn't...

read more

Pin It on Pinterest