(it’s important to note that both my dad and my sister sent me this video separately.) Also, his Woody impression at the end is worth the wait.
5. Love, love this video of Joy and Annie talking about singleness and the church. There are several times I said “Yes!” out loud while watching this.
We usually get to see the comedic side of IF:Local hosts Joy Eggerichs and Annie Downs, but today we are excited to sit down with them as they share honestly about their singleness and experience in the church.This is a conversation we invite you to join, please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.
2. I loved watching Kimmy Schmidt. And I actually told a friend that Kimmy is possibly what I would have been like had I skipped college and gone straight to New York City. I mean, not exactly. I would have been more afraid. Anyway, I liked this article by another homeschooler about her experience compared to Kimmy’s. My homeschool experience was much different, but her perspective is interesting for sure.
3. A coworker sent me this for a collaborative post we do for work and I loved it so much I’m putting it here, too.
4. I know your bracket may already be busted, but there’s still time to have a not-busted bracket in the Nashville Coffee Shop Bracket Challenge. #NashCoffeeMadness. Also, remember to vote for your favorite shop. Basically, you can actually shape how your bracket turns out.
5. Google Feud. It’s like Family Feud, but with Google searches. A great way to waste train for several hours (for the real thing). [via WardrobeDoor]
1. Jami Nato is one of my favorite bloggers and she’s writing a book. She talks a little about that in this post, but I’m linking to it because of what she says about blogging. I feel much the same way (including the part about not writing here in a while [sorry. working on it.]).
4. Older Men, Younger Men Need You. So, this is about guys, but I really like what Paul said and I think it also applies to women. (Plus, I have guys who read this blog… I don’t know why I’m still explaining this. It’s a good article.)
5. Advice to Writers: Get a Freditorial Team. I do this on a much smaller scale, but I appreciate the categorical breakdown of the friends-who-are-editors that writers need in their lives. I need to bulk up my team.
1. Parks and Recreation, one of my favorite shows, has ended. There are countless articles, etc. on the end of a show like this. One theme I’ve noticed is the fact that Parks & Rec was so joyful. I love what this article says, “In the end, it is one of the best comedies TV has ever seen, and one that stands out from so much of the great shows of this new Golden Age of Television because its default emotion was joy when so many of this era’s great shows are defined by darkness, and its default philosophy was one of optimism at a time when even the best comedies today tend towards ironic detachment.” I also loved this article.
4. How’s everyone feeling about the snow? Laura and I (but mostly Laura) wrote this journal entry about going without coffee/being trapped by ice and snow.
5. Finally, #thedress. The Internet is a bizarre place, y’all. Here’s the dress in question:
I only see this is blue and black. However, I know some of you see it as gold and white and somehow this came to the Internet’s attention and people were freaking.out. about it. There are several articles dealing with the science of it that, frankly, bored me. I did skim them enough to know that it has to do with how the cones in your eyes handle light and overexposure or something like that. But I thought it was fascinating that everyone was really bothered by this. And I liked what Mindy Kaling said:
I think this is why everyone was freaking out. What they knew, what they believed was undoubtable, was now being brought into question. They were beginning to doubt.
I don’t really have any link to go with that, I just found it fascinating and it’s all over twitter. Sometimes it’s nice to remember what was The Biggest Deal Ever after we’ve forgotten about it.
1. Watching “Saturday Night Live” in the Time of ISIS. I don’t know if this article completely reflects my thoughts on this, but it’s something that I’m figuring out. It is hard to live in the whiplash, to know how to react, to know—seriously—what to tweet. I appreciate Tyler Huckabee’s perspective.
2. Holy Writ. This is a long article, but if you appreciate writing and the art of the comma, you’ll find it interesting. (via Megan)
3. You may have seen this by now, but I love a good mashup.
4. Counting Marriage as Loss. Love, love this from Lore. It is exactly where I am in so many ways. I am always thankful for writers who say, “Me too.”
5. “Parks and Recreation” is another of my favorite shows coming to an end this season. I really like this article on what Parks and Rec can teach us about faithfully living as a local.
So, funny story. My blog was hacked last week and since it was an attack with the server, I ended up switching servers. My hosts were great and moved everything for me, but due to the hacking, they weren’t able to save my latest posts. This probably doesn’t bother any of you like it does me, but I wanted to note it here. That way, when I look back at my post history, I will have on record that I did not skip any Friday Fives. (There were also some great guest posts—Bachelor Recaps by Someone Who Doesn’t Watch The Bachelor. Just FYI, future self.)
Okay, now for your regularly scheduled programming:
1. I’ve been listening to this music all week. Piano versions of classic and current hits. It is so perfect for reading/writing/editing.
2. j/k. I decided I didn’t like this.
3. I love this NEEDTOBREATHE song (of course) and they made a new version with Gavin DeGraw. It’s just fun.
5. Ohmygoodness. Parenthood. Y’all, I’m still not over it. But neither is showrunner Jason Katims. This article made me cry (this is your tissue warning) and it has some minor spoilers. But I just love those Bravermans.
2. You may have already seen this. I know our local news did a 5 minute spot on it on NYE. #Nashville But, it’s too good not to post (also, check out the rest of her channel. She has some other great mashups.)